Welcome to the Adventures

03 April 2009

Word Buzz Friday

I was writing something last week on Twitter, I believe, when I used the word snarf without thinking. Amanda responded that she liked the sound of it. What did it mean? I replied that it must mean throw up or vomit, because that's the only context I've ever heard it used in. She twittered back that it looks like sneeze + barf= snarf. Genius!

Then, I did some research and found this. However, if you are like me, you rarely ever click on links. So the best of the definitions is here:

snarf

/snarf/ 1. To grab, especially to grab a large document or
file for the purpose of using it with or without the author's
permission.

See also BLT.

2. (Unix) To fetch a file or set of files across a network.

See also blast.

3. To acquire, with little concern for legal forms or
politesse (but not quite by stealing). "They were giving away
samples, so I snarfed a bunch of them."

4. Synonym for slurp. "This program starts by snarfing the
entire database into core."

5. (GEnie) To spray food or programming fluids due to
laughing at the wrong moment. This sense appears to be
widespread among mundane teenagers - ESR.

6. This term was mainstream in the late 1960s, meaning "to eat
piggishly". It may still have this connotation in context.

7. A creature on the Thundercats, fond of eating, usually
covertly.

Who knew that snarf had sooo many meanings???

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh yeah! I've used "snarf" before in the context of eating something really fast - I suppose similar to eating piggishly.

"Wow, the dog snarfed down that treat. He must really like it."

I still like my definition. sneeze + barf = snarf.

Kyle said...

Oh well that's annoying...does everyone see the big "comment deleted" thing, or is that just for me?

I posted something but then realized I wanted to add something, so I deleted my comment so I could post a new one.

Anyways, this is my new favorite word buzz word. :)

And did anyone actually see Thundercats? I've heard a lot of references to it in the past couple years, and I think it must have been before my time...I wonder if I missed out on something great.

Kyle said...

Lol, of course, then I see a messed up sentence I want to fix. There's no way to edit comments that I don't see, is there?

Amanda said...

haha, no we all see it Kyle. I can fix it though. It has to be deleted twice for it to officially go away. And no, there is no way to edit. You should "preview" your comment before you publish it - it's the best way to "edit" your comment.

Sara said...

I agree. The fact that you can't edit your own comments is hugely annoying for someone like me who is a serially misspeller and ironically contributes to a language blog.