Welcome to the Adventures

15 February 2009

Miyaunna, checking in!

Ayo!

In my neck of the woods, that means, "Hey, you!". This is my first venture into group blogging, and I can say that I am ready to have some fun along the way!

I'm a pretty outgoing Midwestern girl, currently teaching English and (half-arsed) French in Tokyo, Japan. I love languages, and so far, they seem to love me...although I've never really asked. I am a native English speaker, but also spoke a little AAVE and Louisiana French (thanks to my late Grandma who thought it was *just adorable* hearing us swear in another language) while growing up.

In college, I studied Film, Linguistics and International Relations but spent most of my time getting into philosophical arguments with my friends while simultaneously drowning out my rowdy next door neighbors with my Amadou et Miriam CD.

When not ranting about some linguistic rarity, I can be found with a film camera and a microphone or can be caught strumming my guitar next to my twin sister as we both veg out on my couch. You can also check up on me at my blog.

During my time here at Language Nerds, I will write on the origins of language, upload videos and interviews of second generation speakers and try to generally explore all the oddities and idiosyncrasies of the English language.

I speak English, Spanish, am pretty good at Portuguese and French, and have had varying degrees of experience with Arabic, Chinese, and German. Drop me a line in any of these languages and we'll see what I come up with!

I hope you'll join me and maybe we just might figure this whole "language thing" out.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Welcome Miyaunna!

Crossing Borders said...

Thanks! :)

Amanda said...

I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us!