Welcome to the Adventures

24 February 2009

Fake English?

Ayo!

Can you speak fake English?

That's the question a Youtuber called Crenquist asked his subscribers nearly two years ago, after giving them his own impressions of what French, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish sound like to his non-native speaking ears.

The video is not meant to offend, nor reinforce stereotypes about the speakers of those languages, but is actually being used as "edutainment" piece. Not only is it a fun activity, but you can learn something from it. It offers a real glimpse into what certain languages sound like to non-native speakers.

We've all heard that English speakers have this retroflex "r" thing going on, that German has a biting edge, and that the French language sounds like a rush of syllables, but nothing is as honest as seeing another person from another part of the world imitate your language.

Here is Crenquist giving us his impression of 7 fake languages, each based on Chinese, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish, German and Japanese.

.


You can click around Youtube to watch other videos of people imitating what English sounds like to them. All of those videos are insightful, not to mention hilarious, but I will leave you with a cute young girl from Quebec. She really hits the nail on the head with the sounds and idosyncrasies of English phonetics.



Once I get my camera up and rolling, I will upload myself speaking fake Italian and fake Arabic. I invite all of you out there to do the same!

Until next time, peace out!

2 comments:

Sara said...

That's awesome! I think it was easier for me to "understand" the fake German and the fake Spanish than the fake English, but it does sound like those people who make fun of me and my friends when we are walking around Santiago speaking English.

Amanda said...

I'm with Sara - I "understood" the fake German better than the fake English.