Welcome to the Adventures

27 February 2009

Word Buzz Friday

The English language is constantly inventing new words and phrases. Some of them make sense and some of them are ridiculous. Urban dictionary tries to keep up with the thousands of new words and slang being created every year.

Some of their words for this week are:


Yellular:

The loudness one adopts in response to a bad cell-phone connection, in the misguided hope that talking louder will improve the connection.
"I'm so embarrassed. I went totally yellular at a restaurant last night."


Laundry Limbo:

Intentionally rewashing clothing simply because you don't feel like putting it away
"I had a shirt I knew was clean, but I was too lazy to hang it up so I just kept it in laundry limbo"


I'm guilty of both of those! How about you?

Then, do you remember my post on calling women chicks? We found this from the comic strip Pearls Before Swine.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I like the idea of a word buzz Friday. Did you know that the Urban Dictionary is also fun for looking up your own name? For example:
Amanda
Sara

Sara said...

LOL I laughed when I saw the conversation.

-What's your name?

-Sara

-Sara?

-Yeh, Sara-no-h!

-Sara-no-h?

-It's the better way!

CancunCanuck said...

Too funny, I never thought of searching my name on UD (though it's a tool I use when deciphering rap music for my students, ugh). I like this....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kelly

Amanda said...

I never would have thought to search names on it either, but my brother was the one who started it. It was rather contagious, because the results are humorous.

My favorite for Amanda is that the term "A-man-duh" should only be applied to a crossing dressing male, because hey, he's a man, duh. I used to have friends in middle school that would address notes to me: "A-*picture of a stick figure man*-DUH"