Welcome to the Adventures

14 February 2009

I'm Kyle?

A quick summary of my life: I was born & raised in Minnesota, been here my entire life, I did insanely well in high school, went to the U of Minnesota but hated it (the school part anyway), dropped out after 3 years, got a job that I've now been at for almost 3 years, and I've been going back to school slowly but surely at a nearby community college for a few years now.

I like to believe I have a pretty firm grasp of the English language. I got A's in around 98.7% of my English classes, and I've always been told that I am a good writer. Not that I could write as a living or anything - I just know how to not make mistakes (usually). I never "liked" English classes, but I never "liked" much of anything we were forced to do in school really. Except lunch and gym class, of course.

I've played my fair share of online video games, so I've been exposed to some of the worst grammar and spelling in the world. It amazes me sometimes how some people just plain suck at using the English language. I know that internet-English isn't the same as English-English (what with the acronyms, half-sentences, and extreme lack of punctuation), but it's statements like "I could care less" that always make me want to reply, "How much less could you care? Maybe you could care less to the point where, say, I don't know, you couldn't care less, which is what you meant to say in the first place?" That's usually when they reply with, "Huh? Oh, uh, I don't care." And then I reply with, "Exactly."

That's all. Hi, nice to be here. :-)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

When I am a teacher, if I have one of those brat students who feels it necessary to smart off to me, if they ever use the phrase, "I could care less," I will retort with, "How much less could you care?" The whole point of course, would be to teach them that if they ever want to smart off to me, they'd better make sure that they're using proper grammar. Ha.