Welcome to the Adventures

13 February 2009

Nice to Meet You! Un Gusto Conocerte!

I'm Sara. I have another blog, but when Amanda asked me if I would be interested in joining this blog, I said yes immediately. I have been a self described language nerd since I learned how to talk, which was younger than some of my daycare going peers.

In high school I excelled in Spanish and German, plus my creative writing classes. When I got to college I decided to chose a major that I loved and was easy, so I studied more Spanish and German.

The Spanish is a part of my daily life now as I balance my life between the United States and Chile. The German sadly is not, and I fear my German would come out like two year old with cotton candy in his mouth.

For seven months, I lived in Santiago, Chile teaching English. It made me realize how fortunate I am to have been born speaking English because if I hadn't I probably would never learn it. English, like French is not phonetic and that drives me crazy. It's why my Spanish speaking students doubted me when I told them about spelling bees. Why would anybody stage a competition around spelling when it's sooo easy? They had forgotten for a moment their own struggles to spell and pronounce some of our more difficult English words.

Now, I'm not going to pretend that I am any expert in language. I know next to nothing about phonetics, linguistics, syntax, and grammar. However, I do live most of my life in two languages: English which I think in and Spanish which comes out of my mouth. It's a a constant struggle and one I hope to write more about in the future as I move to Santiago (again) indefinitely.

Saludos!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Sara, thanks for posting an introduction! That's a fabulous idea. I should do one too.

Sara said...

Why not? Then I was thinking you could link back to it later.