Welcome to the Adventures

10 April 2009

Word Buzz Friday

Hello all. Since Sara is currently on vacation in Montevideo, you get me. I'm a poor substitute, but bear with me and I'm sure you'll survive.

For last week's word buzz, Sara featured snarf, a word which I thought sounded like a combination of sneeze and barf. Coincidentally, my linguistics assignment for the week was to read a chapter on language processing, in which word blends were covered. Have you ever tried to say two words at once and it came out mushed together? I know I have. Those mushed up words are called blends. One fine example of a blend? Spanglish.

Here are my two favorite blend words, both of which I mangled all on my own:

Rememory: a combination of recall and memory. Example: "I would do better on my tests if I had good rememory, because those cheat sheets are hard to recall with my poor memory."

Dipsy: a combination of ditsy and tipsy. And yes, I was dipsy when I came up with this word.

What are some word blends that you know of, or have come up with?

2 comments:

Crossing Borders said...

One's that I have heard:

Refugly: Real fucking ugly.
Unbeweavable: Someone with a bad weave

Me and my sister didn't make this up, but for a long time we thought we did:

Hideouso: Mix between hideous and feo. We actually use this word more than hideous, ugly, or feo. We don't know why!

Refrund beans: It is a mix between refund and refried beans. So, my little sis was talking about getting her refund check from school, and she slipped and said refrund, because we had been talking about taco bell. Now, every time we never say refund, we say refrund. Even all of our friends say it too! We like the word because it combines two of the best things...refried beans and a refund check. :)

Amanda said...

I love those! I especially love hideouso, because it combines two languages. Though the fact that "refrund" has caught on with your friends is pretty awesome too.