Welcome to the Adventures

10 May 2009

It's Pop, Not Soda

In Minnesota, we use the word pop for what most people call soda. We often "go up" to see someone or vacation at our cabins, even if the direction we are headed has nothing to do with "up." And, if you go deep enough into Central Minnesota, where the Germans immigrants settled and flourished, you may even hear "yous guys" as the plural of you. In the south, you plural becomes, "Ya'll!" People in Wisconsin call drinking fountains "bubblers."

Every regional dialect has words that are unique to its speakers (and this is true for every language). And often times, using words like "pop" when one is not in Minnesota can result in confusion or good-natured teasing. So here are a couple things for you to share: What are some words that are only used in your city/state/region/country? And have you ever been in a situation where using a word that is unique to your regional dialect has caused confusion or misunderstanding?

8 comments:

CancunCanuck said...

Minnesotans are definitely honorary Canadians, haha, the language is very similar. We say "pop" as well, which reminds me of a trip to NYC with my family. My brother asked a waiter what kind of pop he had, the waiter responded "I got one pop, he's a great dad, lives up in the Bronx, did you wanna know what kind of soda we got?"

I've had arguments with people from different regions about what a "case" of beer is. In Ontario, Canada, a "case" is 24 beers. People from other areas insist that a "case" is 12. I say beer is beer, just make sure it's cold. :)

Amanda said...

lol, that's an awesome response by the waiter. Now that I'm aware "pop" is more of a regional thing, if I go to a restaurant I'll ask what kind of soda they have. Just in case. And, speaking of cases. I'm not a beer drinker, but I'd say 24 = case, 12 = pack.

Sara said...

I think they say pop in other midwest states too, like wisconsin and michighan. Oh, and one of my friends from wisconsin said she doesnt know anyone who uses the word bubbler except her grandma, so maybe it's dying out.

It happens to me all the time when I travel to another Spanish speaking country that I say something distinctly Chilean (although I might have just thought it was "Spanish") and someone will look at me confused.

Amanda said...

I had a couple floor-mates who called drinking fountain bubblers. Maybe it just depends on what part of Wisconsin you're from?

Crossing Borders said...

We say pop in Northern Ohio, but in Southern Ohio, it is definitely "soda". My grandma, who is from the Gulf Coast, says "soda", and my friends from Boston say "coke" for everything, lol.

I have NEVER heard of a "bubbler". That is too funny! We call them "water fountains". In S. Ohio I've heard "drinking fountains".

Abby said...

In VT, we say "creemees" for "soft serve ice cream" and "sliding" for the activity when you're in a sled and go down a hill, because "sledding" means snowmobiling.

Oh, and Miyuanna I know lots of people from Boston and have never heard them say "coke" for soda, but I have heard it said by people from the South. Strange.

H Myers said...

I'm in southeastern PA and it's definitely 'soda' here. Canuck, your waiter's response was great. :) As for 'bubblers', I wouldn't know what that meant except possibly from context. 'Drinking fountain' or 'water fountain' are common around here. Though I'm a Pennsylvanian, I think English needs a dedicated 'you plural' pronoun. Something other than 'y'all' or 'youse guys'. :)

Amanda said...

Heather, I have to agree - English definitely needs dedicated you plural pronoun.