Welcome to the Adventures

12 March 2009

Comic #2: Barcelona

Click to make it larger:




This has a little backstory to it: I tend to travel alone and without many plans, so when I was in Barcelona and noticed some lost Japanese tourists trying in vain to understand what a man was trying to say to them in Catalan, I used my rusty Japanese skills to try to help, since I understood mostly what he was trying to say (about the cable car being closed). They were just so shocked that I spoke Japanese and grateful for my help that I ended up staying with them most of the day and really speaking only Japanese - except when we ordered food. I certainly never thought my Asian language skills would be useful in Europe, but I guess that's what makes languages worth learning - they can help you meet people and go places you never would otherwise.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Cute! I spoke a lot of Spanish and English in Barcelona!

Amanda said...

haha. Hearing the back story was cool!

Maria Sondule said...

Lol. I love the comic, of course, and your experiences make it more funny. :D