Welcome to the Adventures

24 March 2009

What is Fluency?

The first question someone usually asks me after learning that my bachelor's degree is in German is: "So you're fluent?" My answer is usually, "No." But I had a very interesting conversation some months ago with man from Scotland, who challenged my idea of what it means to be fluent in a language. I do not consider myself to be fluent. I understand a good deal, I can write in German, but I am not an eloquent speaker by any means. I can, however, think in German - that is, understand something said or written in German without having to translate it into English in my head. And this, he said, was being fluent in a language. Would you agree?

At the time I had this conversation, I was only in the beginning month of my Spanish instruction. I am now in my second semester. When the professor speaks in Spanish, I have moments of being able to know what is being said without doing any translating into English in my head. Am I on the road to fluency so early in the game? I am not so convinced. But because I want to teach abroad in a Spanish speaking country eventually, I am hopeful.

Dictionary.com defines fluent as, "spoken or written with ease" and "able to speak or write smoothly, easily, or readily." I feel that this is close to what I believe fluency to be, though this dictionary definition lacks one very important component of fluency – comprehension. While fluency does not mean understanding every single word that is spoken or written, it does mean being able to understand the vast majority of what is conveyed, as well as being able to guess the meaning of unfamiliar words based on context. What do you think fluency in a language is?

I found this page called "How to judge your foreign language fluency" which breaks down fluency into four parts: the understanding and expression of information presented orally and in written form. You can then rate your own foreign language fluency based on four questions, one for each aforementioned parts (also: are four questions enough to judge fluency?). When judging my German skills, I found my score to be relatively accurate. It is interesting to note that the way fluency is rated it is impossible to be 100% fluent. If you know a foreign language, trying rating your knowledge. Do you think your score accurately represents your level of fluency?

Also! Don't forget to take our current poll located to your left: How many words does it take to read a newspaper or magazine in English fluently? Stay tuned for the results! They will be posted on Saturday.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I think I told you, but my teacher in high school described fluency as being able to talk around any word you were unfamiliar with.

I think in Spanish, I am fluent now, but I think my grammar is still lacking a bit.

Amanda said...

Yes, you've mentioned that before, and I think there's a lot of truth in that. Also, I've seen debate about how important grammar really is. Some people feel it's not, others do. As long as you get your point across and others understand you, lacking some grammar is not necessarily a bad thing.

Kyle said...

That Scottish guy was pretty cool. And I sorta agree with him - if you can comprehend and think in a language without translating it in your head, that should mean you know the language pretty well.

Though now that I think about it, I'm not a fan of the term fluent - it seems like most people use the term like its either you're fluent or you're not. Knowledge of a language shouldn't be rated on a scale of 0 to 1 really.

Amanda said...

I think being able to think in a language is only one part of fluency, but yes, it is important. I also think you make a very good point Kyle. Fluency isn't an either/or type of thing. I mean, Sara is fluent in Spanish, but I am not - but I am more fluent in it than you are. There needs to be a better way to quantify fluency.