Welcome to the Adventures

11 March 2009

Poll Number 2 Results!

Hello everyone!

The results of our second poll are in!

Below are the responses to the poll question (which lanaguge family contains the hardest to learn langauges):

Five voters chose Afro-Asiatic.

One voter chose Japonic.

Two voters chose Other.

So, how did you vote?

I chose Afro-Asiatic. I have found that languages in the Berber, Egyptian, Chadic and Cushitic branches of this family have been the hardest for me to wrap my head around. Some of these languages have no vowel or arbitrary vowel sounds, so words can be pronounced many different ways. This makes pronunciation and understanding very difficult! Afro-Asiatic languages are also some of the least taught languages in Western schools, which makes contact with these languages very difficult. Huasa, found in the Chadic language branch, has tones, which also complicates things for me.

I also chose Afro-Asiatic because I have found that Indo-European languages are generally easy to learn, followed by Japonic (although I do get tripped up by characters).

So, to all of you who voted, please tell me which language group you chose and why! And if you put "other" please describe the language family you chose.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I don't know much of language families, but I picked Afro-Asiatic because Arabic has always looked really confusing to me - all the characters look so much alike that they all seem to blur together.